It’s the 1st of December and this means one thing – I want to eat everything in sight. Even more so than usual. I saw this recipe the other day for vegan chocolate crepes and I thought this was a great, healthier alternative for a December weekend morning. They look Christmassy as hell, but they are dairy free and processed sugar free.
A good Mariah Carey Christmas track paying in the background while attempting to flip a vegan crepe sounds like a recipe for fun (and possibly disaster – but still fun).
- ½ cup nondairy milk (e.g. coconut, almond etc.)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Coconut oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, except the coconut oil.
- Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until the mixture is completely blended.
- Put in the refrigerator to rest for an hour. When ready to make your crepes, take the batter out of the refrigerator and stir by hand.
- Heat a drop of coconut oil in small skillet over medium high heat. Pour a scant ¼ cup of the batter. Lift the pan and swirl and tilt to cause the batter to cover the bottom.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, until golden brown, then flip and cook for a minute more. Remove from the pan and continue with the rest of the batter, adding a drop of coconut oil to the pan every once in a while.
- They cook best without much oil.
- Serve folded over, filled with strawberry or blueberry jam. A chocolate hazelnut spread is great, too.